we are organizing a 'bollywood movie night' at work... to help people understand a few things/ catch a glimpse of Indian contemporary culture... so that we can work better in that context!
I have to pick three movies... now that I have a chance to showcase the 'wonderfulness' ( i am not sarcastic at all- i am a BIG fan) I am so confused - how can I pick just three movies that are the best of bollywood (and movies that convey the contemporary culture) ... I can think of a thousand but don't know which one is better than the other.
I am looking to you ... all bollywood fans - or not... any suggestions?
15 comments:
OK, here are my picks:
1. Saathiya
2. Roja
3. Dil Chahta Hai
thanks Sonia - Dil Chahta is a great option... hadnt thought of that!
Not sure if I want to show Roja - since if anyone is planning a trip in the near future dont know if thay will be a good idea :) hehe!
1. DCH or RDB or Yuva (for youth & passion)
2. Guru (for the perceived power of dreams)
3. something that depicts family values
- from a non-Bollywood fannnnnnnnnn :P
thanks non bollywood fannnnnn... like Hum apke hain kaun ? :) or Hum Saath Saath Hain?
I like the first two... am not sure if RDB or Yuva will be a negative indication of the youth culture ?
Khamoshi...
Some masala flick from the 70-80's, may be...something typically bollywood would be.. yeah..hum aapke hain kaun or dilwale dulhaniya le jayenge..
of the recent lot: chake de, or even Om Shanti Om :)
Dil chahta hai is a nice option definitely.
thanks so much Maithili :) - Yes- Om Shanti Om is a great option to consider...
I do not want to go back to the 70s 80s so much or ones shot abroad... Khamoshi may be too heavy on story and individuality!
Hmmm... I thought of Yuva too, but my reason for not picking it was that it has copied Mexican movie Amores Perros in a big way.
Other than that, it does encompass youth culture in India from different backgrounds.
I would not try to hide the negativity of our society or try to show that we are all good and no bad.
But its your call depending on how comfortable you are showing the negative aspects of India :)
How about Monsoon Wedding ??
I am guessing your audience is Americans... Another thing to consider: Spoofs and a lot of funny movies could be like internal jokes for them and they may not get it. The jokes can be lost in translation (language or culture).
am (was)a silent reader of ur blog..
Dil Chahta hai is a gr8 option..
how about Monsoon Wedding..??? I recommend it to everybody who wants to know more about contemporary India..I think the movie captures it all..
My bosss loved it..:D
Sonia...Its not so much about not showing the negative aspects of the cutlure - infact I have been making sure they are exposed to as many facets of indian culture as possible - good or bad - but atleast some what true... maybe my opinion being from Bombay is biased but I thought Yuva wasnt a complete picture really of youth in India the problem with Yuva -
I am trying to pick movies where the essence of culture and lifestlye is more dominant than the story of the movies - thats why DCH or even monsoon wedding are great options
Yes - my audience is all american... I totally agree about the spoofs... though Om Shanti Om is a good example of the extravagance of color -song and dance in our culture...
Vani,
thanks for the recommendations :) I am glad this post lead you to break the silence :)
Monsoon Wedding
Satya
Any Karan Johar Movie (They are all the same)
sorry, i am breaking the three limit.
Khosla ka Ghosla, watching that on a plane made it the best flight ever.
True True... cant get too heavy on the story.
thanks Dushyant - yes - Khosla ka Ghosla is a great movie!!! and actually perfect for the context - current project site is around Delhi!
Oh yeah, Monsoon wedding is set in Delhi too.
Post a Comment