Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fodnicha paav

My apologies for the non-maharshtrian readers- but last evening as I was making this simple delicacy from stale bread I remembered an interesting story… I was about 7 – mom dad were taking charita- me and a friend of mine to the Circus. So we all decided to pack some snacks for ourselves- my friend mentioned she will be bringing ‘russian bread’ . I was extremely excited- to see what this exotic thing looked and tasted like. We sat in our chairs and opened our little ‘dabbas’ – to my surprise the Russian bread – was fodnicha paav…

I thought ‘russian bread’ sounded so exotic way back then – and today ‘fodni cha paav’ does…

p.s - I dont know if my friend came up with the term herself or her mommy did so that she'd eat it ... :)

4 comments:

ecofatigue said...

haha...Russian bread!!..Thats quite a name! :)..And now I can totally understand why even 'fodnicha bhat' is exotic, even though in the same country, I'm culturally far far away!

komal said...

oh yeah - maybe they have a similar dish in Kolkata too - just with some fish mixed with it :)

Unknown said...

My money is on the mom...

When I was little, my mom had me convinced that if I dont eat the whole fruit, I wont be getting any nutrients ... coz all the nutrients are concentrated in one spot in the fruit and it could be anywhere and there is no way to tell where. So if I ate only half a fruit, it might as well be waste coz I may not get any nutrients at all !!
I dont remember now what I thought nutrients were (probably just something good for me).

komal said...

haha - Sonia thats a pretty funny story there... and a really nice way to get you to eat the fruit :)
maybe you thought nutrients were the things that kept the monsters away or something like that!